PEMF Therapy Australia promotes Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (PEMF) for the ‘Prevention and Healing Coronavirus Infections’ (and also other restricted representations such as diabetes). These devices do not appear to be listed on ARTG; they are therefore being illegally supplied and their promotion is making unapproved restricted representations.
A search of PubMed for Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy and COVID-19 produced no results. There is some evidence that PEMF can improve fracture healing but studies of PEMF for other conditions are inconclusive, most suggest that more and better conducted scientific trials are needed:
Others have suggested that PEMF is snake oil.
On 24 March 2020, the TGA issued a warning about illegal advertising relating to COVID-19 and stated they would act in relation to the illegal advertising of therapeutic products.
I have asked that the TGA to take immediate action against PEMF Therapy Australia, including ordering a prominent retraction be placed on the home page of their web site and that substantial fines be instituted via infringement notices (Complaint, AC-NK9C4WIV/2020).
- US FDA Warning Letter about iMRS 2000 PEMF Therapy and COVID-19
- COVID-19 Scams: MMSAUSTRLIA.COM.AU – Chlorine dioxide
- COVID-19 Scams: Pete Evans BioCharger device
- COVID-19 scams: BergaMet Pro +
- Launch of TGA Advertising Hub – Initial experience of submitting complaints
- Independent review: Therapeutic goods advertising
- Independent review: Consumer consultation